The Hope / Clark Fork area extends along the banks of Pend Oreille Lake from the Pack River to the mouth of the Clark Fork River, the main waterways that feed the mighty Pend Oreille. Pend Oreille Lake is one of the largest freshwater bodies in the west with several islands near the Clark Fork Estuary, including the Hope Islands and the Hope Peninsula, Warren, Cottage, Pearl, Eagle and Memaloose Islands, as well as the islands at the end of the Clark Fork River, called Clark Fork Flats, which includes Derr Island. There are three main peninsulas that penetrate the lake: Sunnyside, Hope Peninsula and Sagle. Sagle is actually more like an area around the lake, but nevertheless it is a contiguous main feature of the Pend Oreille lake.
It is important to keep in mind that the stories of the two communities are closely linked to each other. They have a shared past of railroads, mining, logging and sports activities. More recently, both Pend Oreille Lake and Clark Fork River have been an attraction for tourists seeking the mountain / lake lifestyle. In recent years, the area has attracted national public attention, appearing in several broadcasts, in articles and by developers. The most famous golf course in this part of northern Idaho, Hidden Lakes, was acquired by Jack Nicklaus, and is scheduled to open in 2009 as the Idaho Club. However, since the federal government and the state own more than 70% of the land, growth has been measured.
Glacial Floods and Pend Oreille Lake
The most prominent feature of Hope and Clark Fork, Idaho is Lake Pend Oreille. With 111 miles of coastline and 148 square miles, it is one of the most prominent lakes in North America and the fifth deepest in the country. Formed by cataclysmic floods when the ice mile ice dam broke a mile and again, the characteristics of the land and lakes of Bonner County and western Montana to the Oregon coast formed for these monumental floods. Only one of these floods was ten times the combined volume of all the rivers on earth, with walls of water moving at super highway speeds. For more information on Ice Age floods, visit Ice Age Floods Institute.org
Centuries before the white man discovered the region, the Kalispell and other Indian tribes, such as the Flatheads, inhabited northern Idaho. Visit Northern Idaho History The first white men who traded in northern Idaho were the intrepid adventurers "Big Finan" McDonald and the explorer and "geographer of the earth" David Thompson, who established the first permanent wooden structure in 1809 in Hope Peninsula, taking advantage of Lake Pend Oreille and the Clark Fork River. This trading post, Kullyspell House, still stands as a stone building on the lake. Kullyspell House is still on the peninsula, the most historic home in Idaho. It is located at the end of Kullyspell Road. When you turn right on David Thompson Road, you will pass through several white houses on the left. This group of summer houses is the family retreat of the Kienholz family. Ed Kienholz is easily one of the most famous artists of our nation.
The first true transportation the region enjoyed was the steamboats of the Oregon Steam Navigation Company, which brought its first Portland engine and hardware, building the 108-foot Mary Moody in 1866.
When the railroads entered the area, Northern Pacific Railroad built the 150-foot Henry Villard in 1883 to supply the men who placed the rails. Steamboats continued to be an integral part of transportation around Lake Pend Oreille until the 1930s. Later in the era, steamboats became popular excursions, as did Pend Oreille Cruises today, and the dignitaries staying at the Hope Hotel and other resorts would spend days on the water.
In 1864, Congress granted the North Pacific Railroad a letter to build a line from Lake Superior to Puget Sound on a route north of the 45th parallel. In 1872, the Clark Fork Pend Oreille route was chosen. With the railroad came the people who established the towns of Clark Fork and Hope.
The railroads became famous in the 1880s, when local construction began on the north transcontinental line in 1881. Trestle Creek, more than a mile long, became the longest structure in the line. It was at this time that Hope became the center of rail activities and the largest city in the county. Together with the Chinese Coolies, more than 4,000 rough and ready rail workers lived in a city of shops along the Clark Fork River. The railroads brought people, and the timber industry, which began serving rails and trains, became the unconditional economy of northern Idaho for the next 100 years.
Hope Story, Idaho
At first, Hope was just a stopping point along the railroad, but in 1890, the North Pacific moved its dividing point westward from Montana to the shores of Lake Pend Oreille. Hope was incorporated on July 17, 1891. East Hope was incorporated on June 28, 1902. Hope was a busy port in its early days. Steamboats crossed the lake carrying supplies and mail to mining sites around the coast before the roads were built. The ships were used to transport supplies along the Clark Fork River to Cabinet Gorge while the railroad was being built. The lake had long supported a fishing fleet, bringing tons of fish every day. The populations were decimated by the introduction of the small krill. The federal government added these small shrimp in an attempt to increase fish stocks; The experiment had the opposite effect. Recent years have seen a small recovery in fish stocks, and now Hope is the center of good sport fishing.
Hope began to grow in 1882 when the North Pacific arrived and in 1900 established its Rock Mountain split point in the hillside town. Incorporated in 1903, the town was named in honor of the veterinarian who attended the construction horses. A wise and kind man, Dr. Hope was widely respected. Hope was the largest city in the area during the 1880s, achieving prominence as the point of division of the Rocky Mountains on the North Pacific line. The engines revolved in the big machine house, and the railroad built shops, offices and a "farce" there.
Hotel Jeannot, now known as Hotel Hope, was able to capitalize on this business with its location just above the warehouse, and with its tunnels that provide easy access for passengers to the hotel. Many say the tunnels were used to entertain Chinese "coolees" who worked on the railroads, which were not normally allowed in establishments that served locals and travelers.
In contrast to Hope's early boom, Sandpoint grew slowly after the completion of the railroad. A visitor from 1883 found only 300 people in the city, and nine years later, another traveler reported that "Sandpoint is made up of three to four dozen rude huts and maybe a dozen stores." The city experienced tremendous growth, however, after the turn of the century.
When the split point moved to Sandpoint, Hope began to decline. The Hope Hotel continued to attract people until the 1960s, partly because the picturesque surroundings of the city by Lake Pend Oreille attracted many tourists. Some of them featured: J.P. Morgan, Teddy Roosevelt, Gary Cooper and Bing Crosby.
The original Hotel Jeannot (Hope Hotel) was a wooden structure that caught fire around 1886. It was then that Joseph M. Jeannot started in his fireproof commercial building, which he shared with his brother Louis. He built one section at a time and, over the years, completed the two-story hotel with three bays in 1898. The rectangular building has two full floors on two separate sections of the basement. The facade is divided into three approximately equal bays that vary in design and construction materials, indicating that the hotel was built in sections over a period of years. This theory collaborated by analyzing the structure during restoration, as well as through oral accounts. The first section that was built was the first history of the east bay with its walls of random rock granite masonry with bead joints. Then came the first story of the central bay with its lower walls of poured concrete. After this, or possibly built at the same time, it was the second floor of red brick above the center and the eastern bays. The west bay was the last to be built, either once or in two stages. The first floor is of concrete poured with the second floor of red brick.
Several businesses have occupied the building over the years, including a lounge, a restaurant, a general store, a meat market and even a post office. The vaulted meat refrigerator adjacent to the west basement was probably built when Louis ran his general store and meat market in the period from 1895 to 1897. The Hope Hotel is still a testament to the times.
The hotel and lounge of J. M. Jeannot were not his only commercial interests. He was also involved in mining and had several claims at Lake Pend Oreille in the Monarch Verde Mountain area. Hope had a large Chinese population that had arrived with the railroad, and Jeannot allegedly took advantage of this source of cheap labor for their mines. According to one of Jeannot's friends, he allowed these men to use the meat refrigerator under the hotel as a clubhouse. They obtained access to this room through the small tunnel that connected it to the railroad depot, thus avoiding the most obvious entrances. This vault in the hotel is one of the few places left in Hope that can be connected to the large number of Chinese people living in the city.
Jeannot's mining operations, as well as its losses in gambling, led to its unstable financial situation, which may have been one of the reasons why the hotel took between ten and twelve years to complete. According to one source, construction was delayed for more than a year when Jeannot lost all his money in a bid for William Jennings Bryan in 1896. Uncertain finances continued to affect Jeannot and mortgaged and re-engaged the hotel over the years between 1907 and 1918, finally losing the building in 1918. A friend paid the debt in 1920 and ran the hotel until her death in 1968.
Today, the era of wood and trains has been supplanted by tourism and manufacturing in Bonner County, and Hope and Clark Fork have become a colony of artists. This is due in large part to Ed Kienholz.
Born in 1927 in Fairfield, Washington. He studied in schools and colleges in the northwest interior. First he made a living as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, as a dance band manager, as a secondary car dealer, catering provider, decorator and vacuum cleaner salesman. In 1953 he moved to Los Angeles.
In 1954 he made his first reliefs in wood. In 1956 he founded the NOW Gallery, and in 1957 the Ferus Gallery with Walter Hopps. In 1961 he completed his first Roxy & # 39; s environment, which caused a stir in the documentary exhibition "4" in 1968. His retrospective at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in 1966 caused the County Supervisory Board to attempt to close The exhibition. The theme of their environments is the vulnerability of the private life of the individual to the intervention of the environment and social convention.
In 1972 he met Nancy Reddin in Los Angeles. In 1973 he was a guest artist of the German Academic Exchange Service in Berlin. He moved to Hope with his wife Nancy, and by this time he also settled in Berlin. His most important works during this period were the Volksempfänger (radio receiver of the National Socialist period in Germany). In 1975 he received a Guggenheim Prize.
He died in 1994, but his wife, Nancy Reddin Kienholz continues as a world-renowned artist, frequently visiting Hope.
Due to its notoriety and the amazing beauty of the area, we now have more than 600 artists in our enclave.
The Kienholz couple became friends with many wealthy patrons in Berlin, and over the years, two families have also created their own family retreats on the Peninsula of Hope. When you pass from David Thompson Road to Kullyspell Road, the Max Factor group of houses is on your right. These go to the beginning of the Kullyspell House property line. The other family is the Groenke family. Klaus Groenke is the CEO and co-owner of Trigon Holding GmbH, an international real estate company based in Berlin. It is also reported that he is a leading shareholder in Coca Cola Company and a member of the regional board of Deutsche Bank Berlin / Brandenberg. They built the Groenke Estate, a 150-acre complex at the end of David Thompson Road that becomes Kienholz Road. It is here that a complete section of the Berlin Wall is found, covered with lexiglas, graffiti and everything intact as it was before its fall. Recently, the family sold half of the estate, where many multi-million dollar homes have been built or planned.
Today Hope, Idaho is a tourist and summer destination on the lake, with numerous artists and eclectic people. It is a bedroom complex for Sandpoint, and is considered by many, with its spectacular views of the lake and the mountains, as one of the most picturesque areas of northern Idaho. In fact, many magazine trips rated the trip along the cliffs from Sandpoint to Hope as one of the most beautiful routes in the world.
History of Clark Fork, Idaho
While they are totally different cities, many in northern Idaho think of Clark Fork and Hope as a community. In fact, the two share the same website of the Chamber of Commerce: (http://www.poby.org/)
The city of Clark Fork also became a viable city in the early 1880s, as construction of the North Pacific railroad continued through the nearby Bitterroot and Cabinet mountains. This small community has focused on mining, logging, sawmills, agriculture, Forest Service activity, fish farms, dam construction, fur capture activity, university studies and homes for teenagers. . In addition, for most of its history, the railroad maintained a station and a crew at Clark Fork. Clark Fork was incorporated in 1912. Today is the Clark Fork Field campus of the University of Idaho.
In the 19th century, the Clark Fork Valley, like the banks of Lake Pend Oreille around Hope, was inhabited by the Flathead tribe of Native Americans. It was explored by Meriwether Lewis from the Lewis and Clark expedition during the 1806 return trip from the Pacific. The river is named after William Clark. A middle segment of the river in Montana was previously known as the Missoula River.
Much of the history of Clark Fork in the following years had to do with crossing the river. The bridge that crosses the Clark Fork River provided one of the only steps to the north, and with the steamboats that led the miners to make the arduous journey to the Kootenai Gold Rush, this was one of the only ways to travel. Before building a bridge, Clark Fork had a ferry to cross. The first ferries were nothing more than joined logs. Later, some records indicate that a ferry was operating in 1893, but this was a decade after the installation of the North Pacific line, so it is safe to assume that there was a fast business with ferry crossings during construction.
It is important to remember that the Cabinet Gorge dam was not in place at that time, and journalists at that time wrote in 1916 that "the Clarksfork River handles a much larger volume of water than the Snake River. Sometimes, during the apogee , the flow amounts to 94,000 cubic feet per second.The average width of the river is approximately 1300 feet The speed of the river at certain times is very large, approximately eight miles per hour Due to this, it is necessarily very dangerous to operate a ferry in Clarksfork at any time and very dangerous and sometimes impossible to operate at all. "
Certainly, this ferry crossing created a need and a place for travelers, not only to cross, but sometimes to rest, resupply supplies and take advantage of the occasional lounge.
Until World War I there was a lot of activity in sawmills, and to a lesser extent until the 1950s. The first sawmills include McGillis and Gibbs, Lane and Potter. From the beginning to the end of the 1950s, mining operations played an important role in the economy of the community. The Whitedelph mine and mill located near the Spring Creek fish farm began operating in 1926 until it closed in 1958. It produced the analysis of galena ore primarily in silver, lead and zinc. The Lawrence Mine was located in Antelope Mountain, near Mosquito Creek and near the University of Idaho Clark Fork Field campus. The hills and mountains of the area had numerous small mining holes served by small operations and prospectors.